0 comments / Posted on by Doris Doris

1. Nytro finishes sound better than Poly

Now I've been fortunate enough to play on all sorts of different guitar finishes over many many years and I can tell you this with certainty - pickups are 90% of the guitars tone and the other 10% is split between a hundred different factors. Nitro verses Poly is none of those factors. You shouldn't even talk about it, obsessing over it makes you look crazy. 

2. Vintage pickups sound much better than modern pickups

We all sort of attach this misteque or this mojo to 50s and 60s pickups and when these vintage pickups go for $500 you better be sure they sound better than a Seymour Duncan. The truth of the matter is that there is just vast inconsistencies back in the day. Some of them sounded great, some of them sounded like crap. Someone would be winding a pickup and go out for a smoke break, come back to finish the pick up and be like "yeah, looks good :^)", you know? You can't be sure that a very very expensive set of vintage pickups is going to sound any better than a modern set of pickups.

3. Heavy gauge strings give you super thick tone

It certainly makes your guitar feel different, right? You've gotta dig in and fight that instrument and you can just lay into it...which gives it a different feel, but does it give it a different sound? I don't think so. So here's a list of some of our favourite guitar players playing light gague strings. Hendrix: 9 Chuck Berry: 8 Jimmy Page: 8 Van Haelen: 9 James Hetfield: 9 Billy Gibbons: 8 BBKing:8 Dude had monstrous tone, right? Noefler, Gary Moore, Angus Young, Andy Rose, Steve Rye all on 9's. Some of those guys have the most epic expansive guitar tones. So, don't worry about the gauge. Play what feels right. 

4. Thin lines are "airy" or "spacious" or "unique high end"

They're looking for words to sell you a guitar. What the f-hole does is it makes the guitar lighter. That's what it does. It doesn't matter what kind of guitar it's on. Enjoy the weight savings. 

5. The slab of rosewood on top of a maple neck makes all the tonal difference

 Just pick fingerboard material based on what looks good on the body and feels good to play on, whether that's rosewood or ebony or whatever. Don't go chasing the tonewood, it's sort of a dead end. Wood is unpredictable and the amount it affects the tone is minimal. 

6. Compared to a strat bridge a tele bridge is thinner and has more bite and treble.

That's just not true. Compared to a strat pickup, a telepick up has more low end, more overall frequencies and a fuller sound. So a strat bridge is built very differently than a tele bridge pick up, totally different construction but the strat actually sounds thinner, a litter bit more compressed and has less frequencies. 

 

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxUCmPbVqVU

Huge credit to Darrell Braun Guitar, please give him a sub if this helped you!

0 comments

Leave a comment

All blog comments are checked prior to publishing